What Can You Do About Sexual Harassment in the Workplace?

Concept of sexual harassment at work If you believe you have been a victim of sexual harassment in your workplace, you may be able to take legal action. However, the law can be incredibly complex, and you might find it difficult to navigate the courts and fully understand your rights without the help of an attorney. James H. Shoemaker, Jr. is an attorney in the Newport News, VA, area who can help you learn more about what you can do if you are dealing with sexual harassment concerns at your place of employment.

What Should I Do if I Suspect I Am Being Sexually Harassed in My Place of Work?

Depending on your situation, there are several steps you can take:

  • File a complaint with your employer. Most employers are required by law to have anti-harassment policies and procedures in place for dealing with complaints of sexual harassment. The first step should be to file an internal complaint with your employer (or their designated Human Resources representative) detailing the incident(s). If your employer is unresponsive or unwilling to address the issue, then it is time to consider other options.
  • File an EEOC charge. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or EEOC, enforces federal laws that prohibit discrimination and harassment in the workplace. You can file a charge of discrimination with the EEOC if you believe you have been subjected to sexual harassment or other unlawful conduct by your employer.
  • Consider filing a lawsuit. Your options don’t end with filing an internal complaint or EEOC charge. Depending on your circumstances, you may also consider taking legal action against your employer for their actions. This could include filing a lawsuit for damages such as lost wages, emotional distress, medical bills, and more. In some cases, it can be possible to recover punitive damages as well.

Schedule Time to Talk to a Local Attorney Regarding Your Current Situation To Determine if Legal Action Can Be Taken

If you believe that you may be a victim of sexual harassment or other unlawful conduct in the workplace, call 888-838-4336 to request a consultation with James H. Shoemaker, Jr., Attorney at Law, serving patients in and around the area of Newport News, VA.

How Can We Help?

* All required fields.
Please only include non-medical responses.

Accessibility Toolbar