James H. (Jamie) Shoemaker, Jr., has practiced law at Patten, Wornom, Hatten & Diamonstein (PWHD) since 1993 and has been a partner with the firm since 1996.
Mr. Shoemaker focuses his practice on litigation matters involving:
- All areas of employment law
- False Claims Act (whistleblower cases)
- Fair Labor Standards Act (wage and hour cases)
For more than two decades, Mr. Shoemaker has been litigating cases on behalf of clients seeking justice for fraud perpetrated against the government andthose clients adversely affected by employment issues, such as sexual harassment and wage and hour violations.
He has litigated more than 70 cases to a verdict in federal and state courts, as well as before arbitration panels, Administrative Law Judges and other forums. He has successfully resolved hundreds of cases through settlement and mediation for his clients.
Mr. Shoemaker has served as lead counsel or co-lead counsel in several False Claims Act qui tam matters including healthcare fraud and fraud against the Department of Defense. One of Mr. Shoemaker’s clients was among the eight successful qui tam relators in the $2.1 billion recovery against Pfizer in 2009 – one of the largest whistleblower settlements in U.S. history.
Mr. Shoemaker is a member of the Virginia State Bar and has served as lead counsel in cases in several other states through pro hac vice admission: California, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina, Ohio, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.
Mr. Shoemaker’s excellence in practice has been recognized by several prestigious organizations:
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubble
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America since 2006. This publication seeks to identify the country’s top practitioners through a national survey of lawyers and judges.
- Named to “Virginia Legal Elite” list by Virginia Business Magazine for the past ten years.
- Awarded the Courageous Advocate Award by the New York chapter of the National Employment Lawyers Association in 2005.
Mr. Shoemaker has spoken at several seminars on employment law topics including:
- Non-compete agreements
- Wrongful discharge
- Sexual harassment
- Wage and hour issues
- False Claims Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act
Education and Military Experience
Mr. Shoemaker attended the Virginia Military Institute, on a Navy ROTC scholarship, where he studied Economics and earned his Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1984. After graduating from VMI, he served as Navigator and Tactical Action Officer aboard a destroyer and made two deployments to the Middle East. Following four years of active duty, Mr. Shoemaker also served two years in the reserves and then went on to pursue his Juris Doctor from the University of Richmond in 1991.
During his years of practice, Mr. Shoemaker has remained active in the community in several ways:
- Former president and trustee of the Sarah Bonwell Hudgins Foundation
- Board member of Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA
- Board member of Peninsula Legal Aid
- Board member of Christopher Newport University Sailing Foundation
- Board member of St. Andrews Episcopal School
- Former president of the Tidewater Federal Bar Association
Mr. Shoemaker resides in Hampton, Virginia, with his wife, Kimberly, and their daughter, Jill.
If you need an experienced employment and fraudulent claims lawyer, call James H. Shoemaker, Jr.,today at 757-223-4580 for your consultation. We welcome clients throughout the Virginia Beach, Virginia, and Washington D.C. areas.